Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chapter 13: Discern (Teaser #2)

When I woke up, sunlight filtering through the window and dancing across my eyelids, Alice was already awake, sitting up on the twin mattress nestled on the other side of the nightstand that sat between her bed and the one I was now laying on. She had this odd look on her face, brow furrowed, mouth in a straight line, and for some reason that look left me with a feeling of dread. I sat up quickly, rubbing the sleepy haze from my eyes with my palms. “Alice?” My voice sounded hoarse, mostly because my mouth was dry and not particularly tasting very good. I hated morning breath. “Alice, what’s wrong?”

“Who’s Edward, Bella?” That one question answered the overwhelming feeling of dread that now intensified to the point my stomach rolled in nausea.

“What?” I whispered, because I could clearly not speak above that. Honestly, I was surprised I was able to speak at all. I cursed my sleep talking because this was not a good time to be doing so, not when I was at Alice’s home and not when she was so inquisitive to begin with. I thought I had a handle on it, but I was apparently dead wrong.

“You kept making weird sounds."  Her eyebrows lifted as she leaned forward, forming an ‘o’ around her mouth with her hands while whispering, “Like sex sounds and you said ‘Edward’ several times.”

1 comment:

  1. Heh, heh...Seriously, what was the girl thinking? We all "know" that Bella sleep-talks...this is not new to Bella herself! Can;t wait to see how she got "roped in" to staying at Alice's...this means her routine of going to Edward early in the morning is changed, right?

    Cannot wait. Your story totally pwns me! I drop everything - I mean EVERYTHING - when I get the alert on my phone, to read the latest chapter.

    ReplyDelete